A Journey Back In Time In Magnolia Plantation And Garden
Magnolia Plantation and Garden is the oldest America’s public gardens, established in the 1679 by Thomas Drayton and his wife along the Ashley River. In the late 17th century, the garden located in Charleston, South Carolina, United States is becoming the symbol of wealth and beauty of the new promising land with abundant of African slaves as the workers. Initially a rice plantation area, with vast and widespread works of dams and dikes, it was not until early 19th century that the Magnolia gardens begin its expansion on the grand and magnificent scale.
Magnolia Plantation and Garden happened to be noticeable for its beauty after the Drayton ancestor developed and reworked it in English style, and known for its merits as the first garden that introduces Azalea to America and using Camellia Japonica for outdoor setting. Nowadays, it is famous as tourist attraction and house museum, which stated as a garden with largest collection of azalea and camellia throughout United States. The garden also developed some themed areas such as Biblical Garden, Barbados Tropical Garden, Cattail Wildlife Refugee, CypressLake, Nature Center Zoo, or a Maze which is the replica of the famous England’s Hampton Court Maze. This enormous, beautiful place is also include museum, with one of the most recognized program is focus on the subject of African-American history and culture called From Slavery to Freedom, recalling the lives of the African slaves in the plantation as the skilled gardeners and craftsmen.
Magnolia Plantation and Garden has breathtaking views of scenic forest, wetlands, lakes, and mossy marshes. The enormous path with beautiful cypress and oak along the way can be enjoyed with train and tour on the grounds, and also by foot or bike for some areas such as Waterfowl Refuge and AudubonSwampGardenwhich provide fabulous network of bridges and walkways. As the original house of the Drayton’s were destroyed during the Civil War, now the current main house is endowed with striking antique wood dates back to 1873. Several of today’s attraction is mostly built in the 1975 during the garden renewal.